Pope Benedict XVI | Peter Seewald. Introduction by George Weigel.
Ignatius Press (November 24, 2010)
Never has a Pope, in a book-length interview, dealt so directly with such wide-ranging and controversial issues as Pope Benedict XVI does in Light of the World. Taken from a recent week-long series of interviews with veteran journalist Peter Seewald, this book tackles head-on some of the greatest issues facing the world of our time. Seewald poses such forthright questions to Pope Benedict as:
- What caused the clergy sexual abuse in the Catholic Church?
- Was there a "cover up"?
- Have you considered resigning?
- Does affirming the goodness of the human body mean a plea for "better sex"?
- Can there be a genuine dialogue with Islam?
- Should the Church rethink Catholic teaching on priestly celibacy, women priests, contraception, and same-sex relationships?
- Holy Communion for divorced-and-remarried Catholics?
- Is there a schism in the Catholic Church?
- Should there be a Third Vatican Council?
- Is there any hope for Christian unity?
- Is Christianity the only truth?
- Can the Pope really speak for Jesus Christ?
- How can the Pope claim to be "infallible"?
- Is there a "dictatorship of relativism" today?
- Light of the World: an extract on the abuse crisis (Catholic Herald)
- Pontiff on Crisis of Faith, Abuse Scandal, AIDS (Excerpt from Chapter 11, titled "The Journeys of a Shepherd.")
- "Popes Do Not Fall From the Sky" (Excerpt from chapter 1)
- "Time for Conversion" (Excerpt from chapter 6)
- "The Return of Jesus Christ" (Excerpt from chapter 7)
- Foreward by George Weigel
- Selected Quotes from Light of the World by Pope Benedict XVI (Reuters)
- Portrait of the Pope, by Sharon Mollerus. (ilsussidiario.net 12/19/10).
- "Light of the World" a Must-Read; Literary Treasures; Sound Bites Fail to Capture Benedict XVI's Message, by Elizabeth Lev. (Zenit 12/02/10).
- Pope Benedict: what the media left out, by Rev. Robert Barron. (Washington Post 12/02/10).
- Reviewe.d by Marcel LeJuene (Aggie Catholics 11/30/10).
- Benedict XVI: Christian Radical, by Dr. Samuel Gregg. (Acton Institute 11/30/10).
- Reviewed by Jeff Miller (Curt Jester) 11/25/10).
- Review by The Reluctant Sinner 11/25/10.
- Book reveals Pope Benedict's quiet strength, by Russell Shaw. "[He] has confounded his critics and surprised his supporters" (Our Sunday Visitor 11/24/10).
- Review by Rev. Michael Sweeney, president of the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley. (San Francisco Chronicle 11/24/10).
- Into the 'Light': Pope Benedict comes into clearer focus in new book, by John Thavis (Catholic News Service 11/24/10)
- The Consummate Teacher - Light of the World takes us into the life and mind of Benedict XVI, by John Burger. (National Catholic Register 11/23/10)
- Benedict XVI: "Fearless and engaged" Kris Dmytrenko (Salt + Light 11/23/10)
- Beyond the Controversy: A Revealing Glimpse into the Mind of the Pope by David Scott. Editor in Chief (Catholic News Agency - 11/22/10).
- Open, Disarming, and Inevitably Misunderstood Charles J. Chaput. First Things "On The Square" November 21, 2010.
Pope Benedict XVI talks with German Catholic journalist Peter Seewald, the writer of the pope's new book, during a meeting at the Vatican November 23, 2010. Source: Reuters
Articles / Discussions
- The Pontificate Of Continuity, by R.R. Reno. (First Things' "On The Square" 12/09/10).
- Pope Benedict XVI and the Dictatorship of Relativism, by Fr. Jeffrey Steele (De Cura Animarum 12/06/10).
- Symposium: "Light of the World" and Pope Benedict XVI Contributors: Heather King, John Zmirak, Amy Welborn, Tim Drake, Tom Hoopes, Rev. James Martin, S.J. and Mark Shea, (Patheos.com. 12/03/10).
- The Pope believes that dialogue with Islam is crucial, but “dialogue” does not mean we have to water down what we know to be the truth Francis Phillips. (Catholic Herald 12/02/10).
- Fr. Robert Barron on Light of the World (Video - 12/2/10).
- Pope Benedict, the enigma, by Amy Welborn. (USA Today 11/29/10).
- Let’s move on from condoms. What the Pope said about the priesthood is more interesting, by Francis Phillips. (Catholic Herald 11/29/10).
- New book shows Pope’s commitment to Jews and Israel, by Lisa Palmieri-Billig. (Jerusalem Post 11/28/10).
- Peter Hanan profiles Peter Seewald, Pope Benedict's interviewer in Light of the World. (The Irish Times 11/27/10).
- Debate: Was the Pope wise to agree to the Peter Seewald interview? Or should he have listened to Fr Lombardi? (Catholic Herald 11/26/10)
- The Pontiff Speaks, by Francis S. Rocca. (Wall Street Journal 11/26/10)
- . Carl Olson, interview with Dr. Chris Burgwald, director of the office of evangelization and adult catechesis for the Diocese of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. ("Prairie Rome Companion" 11/24/10).
- Pope links failure to tackle abuse with 1960s reform, by Paddy Agnew. Irish Times November 24, 2010.
- Pope, in book, says homosexuality incompatible with priesthood, by John Thavis (Catholic News Service 11/24/10)
- Shedding Some Light on Light of the World Mark Brumley, President of Ignatius Press, and Carl E. Olson, editor of Ignatius Insight, talk about the unprecedented and heavily anticipated interview with Pope Benedict XVI. [AUDIO]
- Amy Welborn shares her first impressions of Light of the World w/ Vatican Radio's Chris Altieri. [AUDIO]
- It seems that nothing escaped the curiosity of Peter Seewald when he sat down to interview Benedict XVI ... and the Pope did not exempt himself from any of the questions. (Zenit 11/23/10) Courtesy of Zenit, here is a translation of the statement made by Archbishop Salvatore Fisichella, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization, on the release of Benedict's Light of the World.
- "Our book speaks to the survival of [our] planet that is threatened; the Pope appeals to humanity -- our world is in the process of collapse, and half the journalists are only interested in the issue of condoms." - Peter Seewald protests the "crisis of journalism" accompanying the release of Light of the World (Zenit 11/23/10)
- On the Pope’s New Book: Light of the World, by Most Rev. Robert W. Finn, Bishop of Kansas City – St. Joseph. (Catholic Key 11/22/10).
- Pope talks condoms, sex abuse, resignation ... and movie nights by John L Allen Jr. (National Catholic Reporter 11/21/10)
- Peter Seewald: ‘I know of few young people so alive, so curious and so modern as the Pope’ Edward Pentin. (Catholic Herald 11/19/10).
- Author’s questions to Pope are revealed (Catholic Herald 11/01/10).