Addresses of the Holy Father
September 22, 2011
- Meeting of His Holiness Benedict XVI with journalists during the flight to Germany
- Welcoming ceremony at Bellevue Castle
- Visit to the Federal Parliament in the Reichstag Building (Berlin)
- Meeting with representatives of the Jewish community in a room of the Reichstag Building (Berlin)
- Holy Mass at the Olympiastadion (Berlin)
September 23, 2011
- Meeting with representatives of the Muslim community in the reception room of the Apostolic Nunciature of Berlin
- Meeting with representatives of the German Evangelical Church Council in the Chapter Hall of the Augustinian Convent (Erfurt)
- Ecumenical Celebration in the church of the Augustinian Convent (Erfurt)
- Marian Vespers at the Wallfahrtskapelle (Etzelsbach)
September 24, 2011
- Holy Mass at Domplatz (Erfurt)
- Greetings to the citizens gathered at Münsterplatz (Freiburg im Breisgau)
- Meeting with representatives of the Orthodox Churches in the Seminary Hörsaal (Freiburg im Breisgau)
- Meeting with seminarians at St Charles Borromeo Seminary Chapel (Freiburg im Breisgau)
- Meeting with the Council of the Central Committee of German Catholics (ZDK) in the Seminary Hörsaal (Freiburg im Breisgau)
- Prayer vigil with the young people at the trade fair grounds of Freiburg im Breisgau
September 25, 2011
- Holy Mass celebrated in the touristic airport of Freiburg im Breisgau
- Recitation of the Angelus Domini in the touristic airport of Freiburg im Breisgau
- Meeting with a group of Catholics active in the Church and society gathered in the Konzerthaus (Freiburg im Breisgau)
- Farewell ceremony at Lahr Airport
Video (Rome Reports
- 9/25/11: Pope: “Agnostics are closer to the Kingdom of God than believers whose life of faith is 'routine'”
- 9/24/11: Pope's final mass in Germany [Video Only]
- 9/24/11: Pope to Freiburg's youth: use your energy for the service of God [Full News Report]
- 9/24/11: Pope's Mass in Erfurt: “Saints, even if they are only a few, change the world” [Full News Report]
- 9/24/11: Pope visits Freiburg's Cathedral [Video Only]
- 9/24/11: Benedict XVI arrives in Freiburg [Video Only]
- 9/24/11: Pope talks about the importance of freedom in Erfurt [Video Only]
- 9/24/11: Pope celebrates Mass in Erfurt [Video Only]
- 9/24/11: Benedict XVI meets with victims of sexual abuse in Erfurt [Video Only]
- 9/23/11: Pope visits Etzelsbach shrine: “Life should be an answer to God's love” [Full News Report]
- 9/23/11: Pope to Protestants: Faith is not something that can be negotiated [Full News Report]
- 9/23/11: Pope prays at Erfurt's Cathedral [Video Only]
- 9/23/11: Benedict XVI arrives to Erfurt [Video Only]
- 9/22/11: Pope's Homily: with God we can transform even the negative into love [Full News Report]
- 9/22/11: Pope to German lawmakers: Decision based on human nature will assure justice and peace [Full News Report]
- 9/22/11: Pope meets with Jewish community in Berlin [Video Only]
- 9/22/11: President of Bundestag, accidentally steps on pope's cassock [Video Only]
- 9/22/11: Pope's speech in Germany's Parliament: On Solomon and how to know what is just [Video Only]
- 9/22/11: Pope: “I came to Germany to speak about God” [Video Only]
- 9/22/11: Pope talks to the press about sex abuse scandals and German protests [Full News Report]
A sampling of diverse perspectives from the online Catholic community
- Peter Seewald: The Pope triumphed over the media war in Germany, by Peter Seewald. Catholic News Agency. 9/28/11.
- Reason will get us out of this bunker John Finnis comments on the Pope's address to the German parliament. ilsussidario.net. 9/27/11.
- The music at Pope Benedict’s Mass in Berlin, by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf. What Does The Prayer Really Say? 9/25/11.
- Pope Benedict’s Address to the Bundestag: God, Law, History and Politicians, by Donald R. McClarey. The American Catholic 9/25/11.
- Open thread - Der Papst in Deutschland Rorate Caeli 9/24/11.
- The Pope against pedophilia: the reality one pretends not to see, by Andrea Tornielli. "Vatican Insider" La Stampa 9/24/11.
- Benedict's homage to the former Chancellor, by Alessandro Speciale. "Vatican Insider" La Stampa 9/24/11. "Pope Ratzinger has never hidden the admiration he feels for the architect of the reunification of the two Germanies, a man who has dominated German history like no other since the end of Nazism."
- A blessing for the Vatican in (really) deep disguise , by John Allen Jr. National Catholic Reporter 9/23/11.
- In land of Martin Luther, pope prays for Christian unity, by John Thavis. Catholic News Service. 9/23/11.
- Das ElevatorMusik, PapstTrip Edition Rocco Palmo. Whispers in the Loggia 9/23/11.
- Benedict XVI to the German Parliament by Joseph A. Komonchak. Commonweal 9/23/11.
- Benedict XVI trying to meet the other Germany halfway, by John Allen Jr. National Catholic Reporter 9/23/11.
- Benedict XVI on Luther and the challenges to Christianity today Rorate Caeli 9/23/11.
- An interview with Fr. Franz Schmidberger published on the website of the SSPX German District (trans. by friends of Rorate). 9/22/11.
- Berlin’s gay mayor gives Pope symbolic “neutral” welcome, by Giacomo Galeazzi. "Vatican Insider" La Stampa 9/22/11.
- 9/23/11: Mission Clarity: Pope Benedict's Blunt New World "It has been billed as Pope Benedict XVI's most difficult trip abroad to date. But so far in Germany, the pope has not sought to shy away from controversy. His bluntness has surprised many -- and could transform the visit into a rousing success."
- 9/22/11: The Pope in Germany: Financial Crisis, Religion and a Bit of Protest "In Germany on Thursday, Pope Benedict XVI wasted no time in touching on one of the main themes of his papacy: declining religiosity. But he also chatted with Chancellor Angela Merkel about the financial crisis and said he understands the protests surrounding his visit."
- 9/22/11: Fighting the Dictatorship of Relativism: The Pope's Role in the New Battle for Religion "The criticism of Benedict XVI in Germany became deafening ahead of the pope's visit to his homeland. But those calling for reform want nothing less than for the Catholic Church to abandon everything that makes it unique."
- 9/22/11: The Popemobile A Brief History of the World's Holiest Car During his trip through Germany, Pope Benedict XVI will ride around in his bullet-proof, pearlescent popemobile. The history of the vehicle stretches back over eight decades and includes more than 50 exotic cars, which have been the height of luxury and technology.
- 9/22/11: Vats for the Vatican Pope Beer Commemorates State Visit "A number of commemorative souvenirs have been produced to mark Pope Benedict XVI's four-day visit to Germany. One brewery in Berlin has gone as far as creating a special beer in his honor. But no ordinary brew would do: This beer was serenaded by Gregorian chants by the light of the new moon."
- 9/21/11: Theologian Hans Küng on Pope Benedict: 'A Putinization of the Catholic Church' "On Thursday, Pope Benedict XVI arrives in Germany for a long-awaited visit. Prominent Swiss theologian Hans Küng explains why the papal visit will do little to help the crisis in the Church and compares Benedict to Vladimir Putin in the way he has centralized power."
- 9/20/11: Disillusioned German Catholics: The Pope's Difficult Visit to His Homeland "Benedict XVI's visit to Germany this week will do little to heal the deep divide between conservatives and reformers in the German Church."
- 4/20/05: From the Archive: Germany Celebrates New Pope
- 9/24/11: Man Arrested in Air Gun Shooting in City Where Pope Holds Mass New York Times
- 9/24/11: Pope Benedict says East German Catholics suffered “acid rain” under communism FaithWorld (Reuters)
- 9/23/11: Pope Benedict wins over German Muslims in first meeting since Regensburg speech FaithWorld (Reuters)